Criminal Lawyer in Newport News, VA
When you’re faced with criminal charges in Newport News, VA, the law office of Kevin W. Weldon can represent you. We know it’s a scary time in your life and having the legal support and guidance of our criminal lawyer may help protect your future freedom. We realize the criminal justice system is daunting, but our aim is to guide you step by step in the most competent way possible.
Every person charged with a crime faces uncertainty, for their fate no longer lies in their hands. There is a lot at stake in a criminal case. It could be a DUI, a simple misdemeanor or a serious Felony charge. It is a stressful time for you and for your family. Not only are you at risk of losing your freedom, but there are also collateral consequences as well. You could lose your job, your driver’s license, your housing, your right to vote, and your family might be torn apart. Hiring the right attorney, can make all the different in the world when it comes to these issues.
We recognize the many emotions you may be experiencing during this time, which is why we’ll provide personal attention and take the time to answer all your questions and provide detailed answers. We believe you may benefit from our familiarity with the local court system.
In Virginia, there are two types of crimes: felonies and misdemeanors.
Every criminal charge falls into one category or the other. You should be aware of the potential penalties you face. Under Virginia Code §18.2-8, a felony is a crime punishable by death or by incarceration in the state prison. All other crimes are misdemeanors. Traffic infractions are not criminal in nature. Virginia law breaks down felonies and misdemeanors into classes. There are six classes of a felony and four categories of misdemeanors. The class of the offense determines the potential sentence established by the legislature.
- Class 1 felonies are punishable by death or life imprisonment and fine;
- Class 2 felonies are punishable by life imprisonment of for any term of years not less than 20 with a fine;
- Class 3 felonies may be punished by a term of imprisonment that is no less than five years but no longer than twenty years and a fine;
- Class 4 felonies are punishable by commitment to the state prison for no less than two years but no longer than ten years and a fine;
- Class 5 felonies carry a penalty of no less than one year but no more than ten years commitment to the state prison. However, the jury or judge, if the case was tried without a jury, may sentence the defendant to a term of incarceration in the jail for a period not to exceed twelve months and a fine; and
- Class 6 felonies can be punished by one to five years in the state prison, but the jury or judge is sitting without a jury can sentence the defendant to one year in the jail.
Similar to felonies, misdemeanors may be punished be incarceration and a fine. However, the committed portion of the sentence would be spent in the county jail.
- Class 1 misdemeanors carry a twelve-month jail sentence and fine;
- Class 2 misdemeanors carry six-month maximum sentence with a fine;
- Class 3 misdemeanors could receive a fine not to exceed $500; and
- Class 4 misdemeanors can be punished by a fine not exceed $250.
Why You Need An Experienced Virginia Criminal Defense Attorney By Your Side.
Criminal law in Virginia is a series of complex laws and procedures that can be very confusing. Taking on this burden by yourself as a self-represented litigant will be daunting. Hire a criminal lawyer that knows the court, its judges and procedures. If you go to court alone, not only would you have to learn the substantive law, procedural law, constitutional law, and evidentiary law to represent yourself, you will be expected by the judge to know these laws as thoroughly and understand them as though you are an attorney admitted to the practice of law in Virginia.
If you have questions for a criminal lawyer, call the law office of Kevin W. Weldon today. We’re available every day of the week and can schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient to you. We serve Newport News and the surrounding areas.